Pilates is a sophisticated approach to fitness and posture which can benefit everyone from the professional consultant to the professional athlete. And now we offer online classes!
Smartbody Studio currently offers both live and online privates as well as online group.
Pilates was developed nearly 100 years ago by the German athlete and movement education pioneer Joseph Pilates. He drew from gymnastics, yoga, boxing and swimming to create a method he called Contrology. By the 1930’s, Contrology gained popularity with ballet and modern dancers, who came to Pilates’ studio in New York City to heal from various injuries. They quickly became converts. Since then, the method has evolved with the times, continually incorporating the latest research in human biomechanics, and broadening its scope. This evolution and diversification of Pilates means that not all Pilates studios teach the same content in the same way. So look around and think carefully before you choose a studio.
The essence of Pilates is its focus on postural muscles of the body, building strength from the inside out. Pilates brings the body into correct alignment and re-educates it about more efficient movement patterns. Furthermore, because Pilates emphasizes lengthening the body in movement with attention to correct form with fewer movement repetitions, muscles become long and lean, rather than short and big.
Benefits of the Pilates method:
– Posture (you will literally stand taller!) and an overall sense of length and balance through the body
– Greater joint mobility and general agility
– Improved flexibility
– Improved strength and muscle tone
– Toned abdominals, back, buttocks, shoulders and thighs
– A stronger, more flexible spine
– Reduced incidence of tension, back pain and neck pain
– Improved circulation
– Improved performance for dancers, athletes and other performance professionals.